November 30, 2012

TILTW: 11.24-11.30



*
I'm so glad NaBloPoMo is over as of this post. I like my little blog. I love writing. But feeling like I have to do so every single day is just not for me... or a bunch of other folk. ;)
**
I'm elated that our family circles don't really do gift wish lists.
***
I really want to give more to those in need. Last year I was able to adopt a family to give a gift to at Christmas. This year they're not doing that and it sucks. Yes, I bring in canned goods and unwrapped toys for Toys for Tots, but I want to give more. And I want Lovie to see me give more. Her school set up a large decorated box next to the sign-in area for toy donations. I mentioned to Lovie that we need to get a toy or two to bring in for the box. She started sulking, "But I want a new toy." It was pathetic and I know she wants and deserves a new toy (we don't buy much throughout the year and her birthday is 4 days after Christmas so she's in "need"). She's still so little and doesn't grasp that there are people out there who need--truly need--food, shelter, clothing, toys. Sadly we don't belong to a church or anything that might have a wishing tree or whatever where you can adopt a family and since we're not doing it at work, I need to find out where to be able to do this. I need Lovie to be a part of it- pick the family or something. She's not grasping it when we go shopping and buy for others because she wants it... maybe if she's a part of picking the person/family, it will click more? I don't want her to feel bad or sad, but I need her to know that this season isn't about receiving.
****
A month from today, we'll be recouping from Lovie's 3rd birthday party and preparing to ring in a new year. WOW does time fly.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations on surviving NaBloPoMo! It was nice having you as a rowmie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for completing NaBloPoMo! I loved reading everyone but, man, the writing everyday nearly killed me.

    Re: the involving Lovie in giving back thing. Last year my daughter's preschool did a field trip to a local food bank. The food bank's manager gave the kids an age appropriate explanation of food insecurity and hunger, they went on tour of the facilities, and they each brought an item to donate that they picked out themselves. My daughter was 3.5 at the time, so a little older than your child, but I really felt like the food bank tour was useful as far as empathy development went. Now when donate food she helps us pick out the items and we've got a good jumping off point to talk about giving and need.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on finishing NaBloPoMo! I'm torn between being thrilled that it's over and looking forward to next year. It's definitely encouraged me to post more often, but daily? Um, not so much. I liked Cynk's idea of booking the NaBloPoMo grid though. I'd like to read more of those blogs and didn't have time to while trying to post every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! It was fun, but man I'm glad it's over :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm struggling with the same concepts this Christmas. I'm not sure I know the right way to teach her about giving but I know it's got to start somewhere. Maybe she won't get it this year or next year either or even the year after that - the concept will be there though, like a seed planted deep, deep in her memory. As in, "I don't know when I started to give at Christmas. I've just always done it." Sooner or later they will know, but only if we take the time and make the effort to teach them. Just like you are doing. Good job, mama!

    ReplyDelete

speak your mind.