July 23, 2010

You take the good, you take the bad

So daycare (DC). Lovie goes to an independent center that’s actually a Preschool… they even having Kindergarten classrooms. This was an awesome plus when deciding to let Lovie attend the place because she wouldn’t be plopped in front of a tv (none there!) and all of the teachers are sure to have a higher education in early education so there are actual lesson plans- even in the infant room! Sure it’s more expensive than in-home care, but I sincerely feel that this is the best place for Lovie. She’s thrived and I really do attribute a lot of that to the care they provide. Plus, because we’re most likely on team One and Done, she gets the social interaction she most certainly wouldn’t get at home alone with me if we could afford me to stay home with her. (Please, please don’t tell me if we cut back on things and sacrifice here and there, I could be a SAHM. I can’t. Not now. I bring too much debt and a condo that can’t sell for what I owe into the big picture, so until things turn around with the economy, we both have to work full time.)

So for the most part, I really am grateful for Lovie’s DC. It’s been nearly five months now (next week- holy shit eh!) and I really like all of her teachers and even the babies in her room. But there’s one thing I don’t care for- and haven’t since nearly the beginning: Lovie naps like shit when she’s there.

See Lovie’s quite the observer and needs to be up in everyone’s business. It’s not that she has to be right there in the middle of whatever’s happening per say, but she does have to be able to at least see what’s going on. She’s always been like this- even from birth when she was pulled out of me… She wouldn’t scream for the doctors (I think her Agpar- or whatever it's called level- was like 5 or something because of this!!) because she was too busy looking around (true story!)! The doctors even had to zap her with this buzzer thing a couple times to get a cry out of her! I mean, what healthy baby doesn’t scream as soon as they’re set free from the warmth of the womb?!?

Anyway back to the lack of napping thing…I’m tired of picking her up from DC and her passing out as soon as we get in the car. I mean, yes, it’s great that she sleeps so easily in the car because the commute can be over an hour some days but it’s more than that. When we finally do get home, she still naps and naps and naps. Yesterday for example, she napped a total of ONE HOUR at school. She’s there for 9 hours! How is a one hour nap for a near 7 month old even acceptable?!

“She was feisty, today,” was the response I got regarding the one, 1-hour nap.

Grrr. I really try not to let it get to me but it’s just hard. I do understand it’s hard for them because she really does like to constantly be in the middle of everything but golly gee, maybe if her crib wasn’t RIGHT NEXT TO THE PLAY AREA, she might be able to close her eyes?!

I guess I just need to pull up my big girl panties and confront them once and for all and ask WHY her crib is first and if they can move it to the back of the room.

I mean I totally understand that she naps much better at home because there isn’t 11 other babies running, screaming, crying, playing, eating, shitting, whatever. I get that. But it’s not like it’s a library at home, either; we talk in our normal voices, we watch TV at a regular level, etc.

I just miss my baby doll so much during the work day and rush to pick her up to spend some time with her- but then when we get home all she does is nap (yesterday was the worst- napping from the time we hit the car until her bedtime, waking up once to have a bottle and going right back down!).. And, yes, I can be selfish and keep her awake (most days) but that’s really not good for her. She, like every baby, needs to get their rest.

This is all just one more reason why I don’t even think I’m going to do a trial two week run with a compressed work week my job is offering – because it’ll mean she get even LESS nap time in during the nine days I’d be working later.

Ughs. Anywaaaaaaaaay. It’s Friday. Tomorrow I have to get a root canal (which I’m actually looking forward to so hopefully I can go one day without a screaming headache by the end of it) and Sunday the husband has to go into work early which means it’s just me and my Lovie! Cannot wait!




New Friend Fridays

5 comments:

  1. I would definitely ask them to move her crib. Sure some days are crappy nap days for PJ, but still...

    and I want to be some of your readers new friend. So follow my blog people! :)

    http://myhappiness-log.blogspot.com/?zx=7964d8a587a5a76

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why are babies so darn cute when they are sleeping? Maybe because they are still long enough to view them? What a tough dilemma, hope it works out :)- hope you heal up well from the root canal www.BreeBee.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. poor Lovie...she looks passed out! I know what you mean, when I come home from work I'm always sad when Pie is sleeping. I wait all day to see her and I want snuggles asap!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They absolutely need to move her. I don't know why they haven't already. I know how you feel about DC, they're all nice people but no one can do a better job than Mom. Also, debt sucks. It can take a fucking leap.

    Oh, and thanks to your post title I've got the Facts of Life theme song running thru my head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You need to ask them to move her crib. There is nothing wrong with that, and I'm sure they won't think so either. But...it may not work.

    Rylie was ALWAYS a crap napper at daycare and could barely keep her eyes open at night when she was a baby. (She was also looking around at everything when she was cut out of me too!) It shouldn't last too much longer for you, even if you have to continue to deal with this.

    Oh and BTW...if you could cut back on some things you could stay home with her. Bwa ha ha (OK, I hope you found the sarcasm in that funny.) I hate when people say that to me too. I hear it ALL.THE.TIME.

    ReplyDelete

speak your mind.