January 10, 2013

Happily ever after

Once upon a time, 10 years ago (or so), I had long dark hair with maybe a handful of grays very well hidden.

May 2003ish. might be May 2000. it's May some year in the early 2000s. NYC.

I was visiting my cousin in NYC. We were in the Rainbow Room overlooking Manhattan, enjoying the best salmon dish I'd ever had after a night of drinking like there was no tomorrow and almost not making our dinner reservations at the Rainbow Room as a result.

I was 30 years old, unmarried, childless.

Ten years later...



my hair is a bit shorter and a LOT grayer. But I kinda dig that.

I also like my glasses at 40 more than the fugly ones I wore at 30. Man I was such a baby back then. I mean, it was only 10 years ago but look at me! Look how cute I was! So damn cherubic looking.

Kinda like this little chica:

taken at 6:40 this morning. girlfriend had to wear those sunglasses despite it being pitch black out.

Heh.

Seriously, 10 years ago I was very different. I had a lot of insecurities. I was very much a loner. I was so very shy, it was hard to look at people. I was getting better but I think it was the start of change for me.

I'm still kinda shy and a loner, but it's so very different now.

Now I don't really give a shit what people think of me. I don't really hold grudges. I try not wasting my time and energy on shit that I cannot fix like I did back then. And life, as a result of letting a lot of shit go, is so much better.

It's good, actually.

Today I'm fabulous and 40, I'm great and gray, I'm married and a mom.

Today I can live happily ever after.




12 comments:

  1. Birthday? If so, have a happy one! I am much more happier at 44 then I was 10 years ago too. Sounds like you developed into a wonderful, happy wife/mother/you. Good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Tami.
      bday was in September but i'll take it. ;)

      Delete
  2. Love the glasses...and that you are embracing the grey. :) (I am not that brave!) NYC is my most favourite place in the universe. (Which I know sounds like an overstatement but I highly doubt Mars or Venus have anything better than NYC.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's taken me a long time to embrace the grey; you'll get there. maybe. ;)
      i do love NYC. it's an awesome city, but i could never ever in a million years live there.

      Delete
  3. The gray irreverence and stylish glasses suit you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Popped in from Mama Kat's! That's so cute! She's precious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to think of myself as I once was, I still have long hair and it isnt gray-a natural thing in my family, but my body sure feels the age-cute glasses there. Lovie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post, that´s all I need to say! :-)

    ReplyDelete

speak your mind.