August 19, 2011

New

from The Gypsy Mama:
So, here’s the skinny: I keep thinking about writing and how often our perfectionism gets in the way of our words. And so a while back I figured, why not take 5 minutes and see what comes out: not a perfect post, not a profound post, just five minutes of focused writing.

No extreme editing; no worrying about perfect grammar, font, or punctuation. Just painting with words. Finger-painting even.

For only five minutes.

I love that so many of you loved that idea too. So we gather here every Friday to compare our five minute masterpieces, in all their messy beauty. We just write, without worrying if it’s just right or not.

And this week, I asked on Facebook what we should write about. Two of you suggested, “New.”

 
start:
It's new to you, sweet girl. A little bassinet for your doll, your "Baby." Made from a cardboard box, cushioned with blankets. Just for you and your Baby. You put Baby in the bassinet and cover her with a blanket. And then you rock the bassinet and continue watching TV. But your hand remains on the bassinet and every so often you look down at your Baby, then at me. And we both smile. And I melt. Because YOU are my Baby. My Doll. YOU are my world, my life, my beating heart. And I'm so lucky. So incredibly lucky to have you in my life. Every second of it. So lucky.
 
I gather some sheets and a pillow and make a bed for our guest. A little corner of the couch for my dear cousin who's been my BFF since we were little. We grew up together, being only 6 months and 3 days apart (she's older- na na!). And she loves you, little girl. She loves you so much, too. We all do. It's just such an easy thing to do. Love you. Completely and unconditionally.
 
You grab your Baby and bring her to the corner of the couch with the fresh sheets and say, "Sit, Sit, Sit." Your face is full of pure joy and excitement as you climb onto the corner of the couch and sit there so proudly atop the fresh sheets. You and Baby. "Sit, Baby, Sit," you tell your baby doll as she sits beside you, staring at me.
 
I smile and my heart fills up with even more love as I watch you, my sweet baby doll, with your baby doll. And I wonder if I'm seeing the future. I wonder if one day you'll decide you, too, want to be a mama and if you'll be blessed enough to experience what I am.
 
Every single day now. Finally.
end.
 
 
Eek! I did do a spell check but otherwise that's it! This was fun, a little scary (not doing any re-write or edits or anything!), and I look forward to participating again next week! :)
 

4 comments:

  1. What a sweet post--so glad you're (finally) a mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Christina, your writing is always so meaningful, no matter how much time you spend on it. I love this sweet little post. Equal to all the challenges you had is the joy of your greatest gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So so sweet...love the "sit, baby, sit"...you are a very lucky mama, and she's so lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the free-form writing! I can imagine Lovie with her baby....so sweet.

    ReplyDelete

speak your mind.